Wow, so
where do I start?
The week
leading up to comp (peak week) was a series of ups and downs for me, both
mentally and physically. I’m glad I took
the last three days off work as this gave me a chance to get some really good
last minute training and posing done with Lynne on the Wednesday, as well as
not having to worry about the tanning process etc over the last two days. I won’t give you a run-down of the whole
week, but for example, on the Friday I woke up feeling awesome… like I could
take on the world. Then slowly over the
course of the day and evening I started feeling flat. Actually I started feeling podgy and bloated
which made me feel so unsure about competing.
But come Saturday I was feeling good again. I was nervous though… would I remember my
routine, how many were in my category, what would they be like, should I even
be here??? I knew I’d put in a lot of
work, but I think that self-doubt comes easily at that point. Refocus, breathe, and pull some additional
strength from your supporters. My
daughter was texting me while I was back stage telling me that I would be
awesome and that she loved me; those little things are actually big things at
that moment J
Saturday I
was awake pretty early getting my head in the game. It’s easy when you are nervous to not want to
eat, but it’s important to get the food in.
There’s a reason for it and so I had to make sure I ate.
Backstage I had another coat of tan applied (with touchups and glaze applied throughout the afternoon) and then had my makeup
done. Stage makeup is so different so I
decided I would be pampered and let someone else do this for me. Even had false lashes for the first time J
There were
a lot of first timers so backstage there were nerves aplenty! But we all encouraged each other and
connected in a lovely way. Tanning,
pumping up, treats and laughter… all in a bid to keep ourselves sane until
stepping out onto the stage.
My group
were called to wait in the wings where Tony took me through my poses one last
time and talked me through pump up (some delts, back and biceps).
We did our
routines first then all went back on stage together for our compulsory
posing. I was so happy that I didn’t
forget any parts in my routine (although I almost slipped as I got into my
starting pose, lol). The compulsories…
man those stage lights get hot, and it’s hard work! I know from practicing that it’s not easy,
but standing on the stage working to get into the best pose and hold it… that’s
tougher than it looks. Muscle
contraction, positioning, breathing, oh and don’t forget to smile!
Working to
hold a decent ‘relaxed’ pose while the judges awarded the placings… I was
shaking so much.
I really
didn’t know how the judges would see me, but I did my best and came away with 2nd
so I’m stoked! I have been in touch with
some of the judges for feedback as they indicated they were keen for the
competitors to do this, and that’s been awesome! I feel even happier since receiving the
feedback and now know where I want my body to be for the next time. Yes, I will be back! Bodybuilding isn’t a quick process. You have to be committed to the time it takes
to build your body and I’m looking forward to setting a plan in place and
working on my vision.
One thing
that I could never really see very well while I was training was the improvements
I was making to my back. It’s pretty
difficult to see this in the mirror or to selfie it for reference, but I
certainly love the progression when I see this photo! (photo credit: defined photography)
A big thank
you to everyone; your support means so much to me! xxx

No comments:
Post a Comment